Library Services Available to Patrons during Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic
The library is dedicated to supporting students and faculty during this time. To ensure the health and safety of staff and patrons alike, we have in place limited face-to-face interaction in our service provision. Find below what has changed as a result of coronavirus (COVID-19) and how to access our services during this period.
While all faculty libraries are currently closed, the main library is opened for few hours to provide remote support services. Currently, the main library opens on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays between the hours of 9a.m. to 4p.m.
Access to Library Resources and Services
We are working hard to provide library services whilst ensuring the safety and welfare of library users and staff. However, the nature of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has necessitated the need to revise our services to adhere to changing government guidelines and protocols of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) and National Universities Commission (NUC).
We are currently unable to offer the following services:
- In-person library visit or study
- Membership to external library users
- Walk-In-Access to print resources
- Walk-In-Access to electronic resources
- Walk-In-Access to the museum collection
- Walk-In-Access to special and archival collections
- Log in to http://librarydb.unilag.edu.ng/newgenlibctxt/Home?Id=1 to search for books.
- You can only borrow items that you have requested. While undergraduates can request up to 4 items for 14 days, postgraduates and faculty staff can request for 10 items at a time for 30 days respectively. Please specify in your email, the period you would like to collect your items.
- You will receive an email when your requests are available for pick up.
- Send an email to book your collection time; the booking time must be during library opening hours.
- You will receive a confirmation of the time requested books can be picked up.
- Loan requests will be held for 5 days.
Collecting Requested Items
- The University of Lagos ID card is required to collect items requested
- You will need to wear a face mask/covering to enter the library
- Please resent your ID card or proof of your booking
- To avoid delay, please arrive at the time of your booking as specified in the email sent to the library.
- You must maintain a two-meter physical distance between yourself and other individuals wherever possible
- Requests will be issued to your account before you arrive and staff will pass your requested items to you.
Please note that books returned to the library are quarantined for 72 hours; thus, loan requests may not be available as quickly as usual. Due to these exceptional circumstances, we will waive any library fines.
Returning Borrowed Items
You can return books at the Circulation Desk during specified library opening hours. When returning books, please observe social distancing rules.
You can also post books back to us at the following address:
University of Lagos
Akoka, Lagos, Nigeria.
Please note that all books returned to the library will be quarantined for 72 hours. Books will remain on your library account while they are quarantined.
Document Delivery Service
Interlibrary loan is only available for electronic materials (journal articles and book chapters). Print materials are currently not available via interlibrary loan.
Research and Reference Help
Please note that most research and reference services are only provided remotely. Our library will continue to offer one-on-one research and reference help through:
- Chat-a-Librarian live chat
- Zoom virtual meetings
The library offers help through the Chat-a-Librarian service where patrons have access to librarians’ help real time through a virtual chat. The link to the service is available on https://library.unilag.edu.ng/library-news/item/28-whatsapp-a-librarian
The hours for the Chat-a-Librarian service is Monday - Friday (except on holidays): 9am - 6pm. The turnaround time for response to any enquiry is 4 hours.